Saturday, December 27, 2014

Rainbows Amongst the Clouds

I love rainbows, and Andy often pokes fun that I'm such a rainbow hunter, often stopping in my tracks if I sense the lighting is right for a rainbow.

The other evening, when I drove home from the Big Four Ice Caves, the evening sunset cast a warm and sparkly orange glow to the west.  To the east were dull, gray clouds.  As I drove over a bridge over the Skykomish River between Monroe and Duvall, I felt awestruck at the magnificent beauty of the sunset.  It's possible I was still feeling a rush from the incredible hike, but the sunset was really, truly glorious.  For a moment, I realized that the position of the clouds, the sun, and overall lighting felt like a rainbow could be possible to the east.  However, as I drank in the warm light, I couldn't pull my eyes away from the sunset to check, even for a moment.  I didn't want to look away from the incredible sunset.

When the trees again obstructed the sun and I actually focused on driving again, I realized something:

It is easy to find beauty in a sunset.  However, only by looking for beauty in the misty, and sometimes dark, clouds can one ever discover the magic of a rainbow.

I missed out on seeing any rainbows that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment