Monday, October 6, 2014

Old apples to new apple juice

This morning, I noticed that we had some Granny Smith apples that were still totally edible but were starting to develop some unappetizing brown spots that wouldn't look pretty on apple slices.  At lunch, Jake asked for apple juice, and rather than tell him that we were out & that I'd pick some up later, I decided to make an impromptu batch of apple juice.

When he found out he would get to help, he was so excited!

After I cut up the apples and showed him how to drop in the pieces, I let him drop in some pieces, too.

After we got a little juice, I let him try some.  I figured it'd be pretty tart so I skipped tasting at this point. :)

It was unfiltered so I'm sure it was a bit gritty as well as sour, but he thought his apple juice was terrific! 

A couple of times, I even let him drop some pieces in and gently press down the top.  He was so proud to help.

After we finished juicing the apples, I let him take some more sips before straining.



Since it was just a small batch for the two of us, I skipped straining through a cheesecloth.  I poured the glass through a strainer a couple of times, though.  When the rough foam looked mostly strained away, I put it into a sauce pan on low and then added some mulling spices.  It was time to get ready for the school bus so we haven't tasted the cider yet, but when he gets home he'll get to try out his cider, too.

a

No comments:

Post a Comment