Sunday, September 21, 2014

I like our new church and Jake likes... smelling elephants?


Although I've tried attending a new church in Duvall this past year, it has not clicked with me for various reasons.  Last week, I tried attending Wooden Cross Lutheran Church in Woodinville http://www.woodencrosslutheran.org (15 minutes away) and knew right away that I felt "at home."
 
Not only does this church support marriage equality (something I deeply care about) but they also have several ongoing community service projects.  While the values of service and equality are the most important thing to me, I also love music.  A lot.   I love that this church supports all kinds of music.  While they played old-fashioned Lutheran hymns last week (which this choir girl loves), after service the pastor told me that they like to mix it up.  Some weeks it's traditional, some weeks it's bluesy jazz, some weeks they play church rock, and they've also had Bob Marley weeks.  OMG.  Bob Marley at church.  He said there is totally a place for "Three Little Birds" at church.  :)
 
When I told the pastor I was a little surprised to hear that the church periodically plays Bob Marley, he said that they consider themselves "Lefty Lutherans" and do things their own way and support others who do, too.  I've never heard the term "Lefty Lutheran" but I kind of love it.
 
After getting the lay of the land last week, I took Jake with me this week.
 
A few minutes into service, my little guy dug into his pocket & pulled out a pair of swimming goggles that I didn't know he had with him. I figured wearing goggles was a relatively quiet activity, so I rolled with it.  He then struggled for a minute or two to pull them down over his face at which point he sat happily goggled, sucking his thumb. Since we were in the front row on the center aisle, I’m pretty sure everyone saw.

 During the children’s sermon, the pastor talked about incense and asked the kids what their favorite smells were.  One girl raised her hand and said her favorite smell is alcohol wipes.  The congregation chuckled.  Jake went next an announced his very favoritest smell in the whole wide world is elephants.  The congregation chuckled again as the pastor said he did not see either of those answers coming.  I don't know if Jake's ever really seen an elephant - the last couple of times we've visited Woodland Park Zoo the elephants have been tough to find.  I'm pretty positive he's never smelled one, either.  The third girl tentatively said her favorite smell is candy, but she looked a little unsure if her answer fit in with the first two responses.
 
The pastor then talked about how incense smoke, or candle smoke, floats up just like prayers can.  In a quiet voice, he said that the children could pray at bedtime, at mealtime, in the morning, when they’re happy, when they’re sad, when they’re unsure of something, or anytime at all.  He asked the kids when they prayed.  Jake stood up and said in a loud voice, “I ALSO LIKE SHARKS!  THEY SWIM AND THEY’RE STRONG AND THEY BITE YOUR NOSE OFF.  GRRRRRRRRRRR!”

Fortunately, folks just laughed understandably.  Again.  Wooden Cross Lutheran of Woodenville, the Dotsons have arrived!  :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment